My photo
This is my photographer’s blog, for your consideration. I post some of my favorite shots here, usually along with some comments about how the photo was taken or post-processed. (Occasionally I have the vain thought that someone might like to read about that.)

If you like what you see here, feel free to check out my Flickr site and YouTube channel.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Chasing the Space Shuttle

IMG_3729_sml

At 12:26p Tuesday, the space shuttle Discovery undocked from the International Space Station (ISS). At 9:20p, the pair presented a graceful duet of brighter-than-Venus dots silently gliding overhead. I guess the ISS didn't want the Shuttle to leave, since the space station appeared to be chasing it across the sky. Of course, the ISS will never catch up; the photograph proves it. The eleven-second trace for the Shuttle is 36% longer than the one for the ISS, vividly showing their relative speeds.

About 30 seconds later, both the ISS and Shuttle disappeared. Here is the trace from the ISS plunge into the darkness of Earth's shadow:

IMG_3731_zoom_sml

To see it larger, click on the image above. To see it full-size, click here.

The last time I saw the ISS and the Shuttle undocked, I was in downtown Cairo, peering between buildings, hoping my view was somewhat toward the southwest. This time was much better! :-)

No comments: