My photo
This is my photographer’s blog, for your consideration. I post some of my favorite shots here, usually along with some comments about how the photo was taken or post-processed. (Occasionally I have the vain thought that someone might like to read about that.)

If you like what you see here, feel free to check out my Flickr site and YouTube channel.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Dark Venus

IMG_6850_rc_sml2

Tuesday I was in San Francisco gazing at the Sun through solar-filtered binoculars -- then it happened. The planet Venus crossed in front of our star.

For almost seven hours, the brightest planet in the sky went dark -- a jet-black disk against the bright Sun. This was the last time it will do so until December of 2117. No one alive today will get to view the next Venus Transit.

Altogether, I shot about 450 pictures of the event; my first -- and last -- attempt at Venus Transit photography. In the coming days and/or weeks, I'll share some more of the photos. But for now, the image that is burned in my mind is the one above: Dark Venus gliding in front of the Bright Star.

No comments: