My photo
This is my photographer’s blog, for your consideration. I post some of my favorite shots here, usually along with some comments about how the photo was taken or post-processed. (Occasionally I have the vain thought that someone might like to read about that.)

If you like what you see here, feel free to check out my Flickr site and YouTube channel.

Monday, August 11, 2008

HDR Takes a Walk Around Vernonia Lake

Sunday after church, Kathy and I visited Vernonia, a small Oregon town whose main tourist attraction is the adjacent lake. It takes about 10 minutes to circumnavigate the lake on the nicely-paved walking path -- 30 minutes if you take time to photograph what you see along the way.

Assuming, that is, photography is capable of capturing and conveying what you see. For one of the scenes we encountered, the phrase comes to mind: "The picture doesn't do it justice." At least, that was true for ordinary photography. But a three-shot HDR photo saved the day. Here is a normal shot of an old mill building, followed by the High Dynamic Range version. (The latter matches much more closely what I saw with my own eyes as I gazed up at the edifice.)

IMG_7634_bfr_hdr

IMG_7634_hdr_mill_01_adjust

From the mill location looking back across the lake, another shot demanded HDR to "do it justice." The first picture was exposed to show the detail in the picnic table, which unfortunately results in a completely washed-out sky. (Exposing for the sky makes the picnic table nearly disappear into a shadow.) HDR photography to the rescue:

IMG_7655_bfr_hdr_7657

IMG_7655_hdr_lake_04_adjust_cf

If you would like to see seven more shots (with captions) from Vernonia Lake, click here.

No comments: