My photo
This is my photographer’s blog, for your consideration. I post some of my favorite shots here, usually along with some comments about how the photo was taken or post-processed. (Occasionally I have the vain thought that someone might like to read about that.)

If you like what you see here, feel free to check out my Flickr site and YouTube channel.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Stacking the Odds; Hushing the Noise

Air molecules are big -- much, much larger than the light photons struggling to get through the Earth's atmosphere from space to my camera's sensor. So, when I photograph something in the nighttime sky, there is a significant probability that some details will get smudged by the plethora of air molecules in the way.

Another problem is in the camera's sensor itself. Many sky objects are dim, so it is necessary to increase the ISO setting -- analogous to the old "film speed." Higher light sensitivity allows dimmer objects to be imaged. Except for the pesky noise. Higher ISO values result in random image artifacts -- visual "noise" that detracts from the image.

Mike to the rescue! He found a freeware software tool that significantly helps with both of these problems: RegiStax, which implements a concept called image stacking. The idea is simple: take many pictures of the same object. Details that are smudged by air movement in one frame will likely be sharper in another frame. Also, random image noise can be subtracted because the "real" image is not random.

As a test, I cranked up my camera's ISO to 1,600 -- a level that is guaranteed to cause significant image noise. Then, I shot 23 pictures of Jupiter through an almost-dark dusky sky. The result was about what I expected: grainy photos of an inconsistent image of Jupiter and its moons. Here is the best of the 23:

IMG_7751_best_cp

After running the 23 shots through RegiStax, the image had a stunning improvement of clarity and quality:

IMG_7745_stacked_by_registax_03_wavelet_cp

Another tool in the arsenal for this casual astrophotographer! (Thanks, Mike!)

1 comment:

photojhh said...

I think that the exposure variance problem calls for HDR techniques, either manual (as in "Bashful Moon") or automatic (as in "Bashful Moon Meets Mr. HDR).

Maybe I'll give it a try with the original images from "Jupiter and His Minions."