My photo
This is my photographer’s blog, for your consideration. I post some of my favorite shots here, usually along with some comments about how the photo was taken or post-processed. (Occasionally I have the vain thought that someone might like to read about that.)

If you like what you see here, feel free to check out my Flickr site and YouTube channel.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Jupiter and His Minions

Jupiter is making its closest 2008 approach to Earth tonight. Last night I aimed my 300mm telephoto (480mm film equivalent) in the direction of the Jovian system, and captured the planet with four of its largest moons:

IMG_5967_cp2

One of these days, I'll mate my camera to a telescope, and then I'll be a "real" amateur astrophotographer. In the meantime, I was surprised what could be done with a simple tripod and camera.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

That's really cool! :)

Jamie said...

That is pretty impressive! Wow!

photojhh said...

I'm planning to post a "how it was done" blog entry with more details, but here is a short answer to the exposure question:

1/2 sec, f/5.6, ISO-800

To avoid overexposure of Jupiter's disk, I found this setting to work:

1/30 sec, f/16, ISO-800

I'll show the results of that shot in the above-mentioned upcoming blog posting. It isn't very exciting; the resolution is not high enough to show any surface features.

Of course, I bracket my exposures and pick the best ones afterwards.

Note: With my maximum zoom (300/480mm), the slowest practical shutter speed is 1/2 second, below which the earth's rotation causes star-trails.

By the way, tonight (July 10), Mars and Saturn will have their closest conjunction for the next 14 years; they will be just 0.25 degrees apart in the west, shortly after sunset.