My photo
This is my photographer’s blog, for your consideration. I post some of my favorite shots here, usually along with some comments about how the photo was taken or post-processed. (Occasionally I have the vain thought that someone might like to read about that.)

If you like what you see here, feel free to check out my Flickr site and YouTube channel.

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fire Flowers

It's July 5th, which naturally falls after the 4th of July. I can imagine that the Flickr servers are chugging away at full speed, servicing the uploads from photographers who think their shots of their fireworks are better than those of a bazillion competitors out there.

Well, I have no illusions that my Fire Flowers from the Tigard fireworks display are better than others'. But one thing I can pretty much guarantee: they are unique. A gorgeous landscape scene will likely be photographed hundreds of times per year, and 95% of those shots will be nearly identical. The other 5% will be differentiated on some environmental thing like pretty cloud formations or a sunset. Sometimes, a creative photographer will find or make something different about the recorded scene. But it's still the same scene.

In contrast, firework photos are by their very nature unique. There is no well-defined start or stop of any given exposure, so each photographer will get something different from the same gunpowder blasts that light up the sky.

So without further ado, here is my contribution to the massive July 5th Flickr upload event. Click here or on the picture below to view a full-window slideshow of 25 unique Fire Flowers.

fire_flower_cp_sml

No comments: