My photo
This is my photographer’s blog, for your consideration. I post some of my favorite shots here, usually along with some comments about how the photo was taken or post-processed. (Occasionally I have the vain thought that someone might like to read about that.)

If you like what you see here, feel free to check out my Flickr site and YouTube channel.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dynamic World Thwarts Dynamic Range Photography

I'm seeing the world with a new awareness now. It's in constant motion -- trees, clouds, birds, people, and various other objects. And unfortunately, motion thwarts multi-shot HDR. This is demonstrated by some of my HDR attempts during the recent Tigard Festival of Balloons.

This photo looks fine in the thumbnail view; I used HDR techniques to balance out the bright sunlit clouds with the blue sky and darker clouds, forming a nice backdrop for a silhouetted hot air balloon. However, click on the photo for a bigger view, and you'll see a big problem.

IMG_5087_hdr_ballloon02_cf

Specifically, the balloon moved enough during the three HDR shots (taken 0.33 seconds apart) to create ghosting. Here is a close-up:

IMG_5087_hdr_ballloon02_cfcp

The HDR software makes some attempt to minimize ghosting due to picture object movemement, but there is only so much it can do.

Until cameras start getting built with High Dynamic Range sensors to capture contrasty motion scenes in one shot, much of the dynamic world will remain out of reach of HDR photography.

2 comments:

Linda Kinney said...

Actually, in this particular case at least, the ghosting gives the larger balloon a 3-D sort of effect! It turned reality into ART!

photojhh said...

That works for me! I cheer anytime someone calls my photography "art," since I have to work at seeing artistic things that come naturally to some others (like my daughter!).